Monday, June 05, 2006

A series of unfortunate events

I don't know why I read this book. Everywhere in the book it says that its not a happy book, no happy ending, no happy beginning and nothing happy in between. But that was ok, its a story and tured out to be somewhat interesting. But the writing style us just awful, with each word there is a detour to explain the meaning of the word, real annoying, made me wonder if I am reading a story book or taking a english lesson. The style of writing really makes you feel that its a adult writing for children, making the assumption that they are dumb and do not know anything. I can see that author wants to use difficult words, and then also give the meaning in case dumb children did not understand what the word means, but then why use the word in first place, just use the simpler word instead. That would be a art for writing children's books which the author clearly lacks. I have read other children's books (Harry Potter for instance) and have really enjoyed them, but this one was just awful.

No comments: