Monday, September 25, 2006

2006 hiking season

As the summer is coming to an end, we set off on the last hike for the season (and possibly my last one in the north-west if I decided to move) at Mt. Rainier. We started the season with 4 day Inca trail in Peru, other than 2 practice hikes before that in April, and now ending in September with 7 mile Mt Rainier hike. And what a season it had been, with marathon practices every Saturday morning, and after that rushing out for a hike. Thanks to Srijan and all who accomodated my can't leave before 10:30a.m. limit, not that they would anyway have got up and left before that, there had been some really nice and relaxing (mentally only) trips.
1. Little Si - literally this was the first hike in April to practice for Peru, just Rahul and I, there is no need to say how nice it was.
2. Some Lake, another practice hike, just Rahul and I again.
3. Inca trail - the big one, this I would say was the practical beginning of the season, and the most difficult and at the same time most rewarding and memorable hike I have done and will be doing in near future.
4. Surprise Creek - first group hike, and a kela as snow was still packed on the mountains blocking our path altogether.
5. Cascade Pass - nice, moderate relaxing hike, highlight was snow sliding when we suddenly came upon a patch of snow near the top.

6. St. Helens - windy ridge, after a long time, it was as amazing as ever. We again walked down to the spirit lake, and walked up to the windy ridge look out. St. Helens.
7. San Juan camping - no hiking, just ferry ride and camping with Srijan, Subo and his friend.
8. Burrough's mountain trail and camping at White River campground in Mt. Rainier


Can't say what 2007 has in store for me, if I am still in the north-west, I have a wish list -

  • mailbox peak
  • lake 22
  • surprise creek (actually reacing the lake this time)

No comments: