Monday, December 18, 2006

The power outage

Nature is not happy with Seattle and I don't blame it. Thursday (12/14) we had another big storm here, this time it was not snow, but water and wind. It was pretty much predicted, but I guess as in case of snow, we were not at all prepared for the aftermath. The storm brought down lot of trees and with that power lines. Power went out in most parts of King County (Bothell, Kirkland, Redmond, Bellevue) and some of Seattle on Thursday late night. The seriousness of the situation had not hit me yet, so I got into my rajai and thought we will just sleep it off. The morning brought a surprise, no power yet. I had a 7:00a.m. meeting, so inspite of what my head told me , I won't believe that there is no power in office. So I got into my car @6:30 and headed to office. On the way, no lights, no signals. Once near office, I could clearly see that it was a lost cause, no power there also. Missed the meeting. Back home, thought it will come, and then I will have maggie for breakfast.
10:00a.m., still no light, it was time to get worried. The house was getting colder, and there was nothing to eat. By this time it hit me that there is no power anywhere. So I started calling friends to figure out what to do, or at least just get some food. More surprise, the phones won't work!! The call to anyone just won't go thru. Finally after more than an hour of trying I could talk to Sree, I had never been happier to hear his voice. Finally we synced and decided to meet at Srijan's place, he after all had gas stove, so we could cook! I packed my bag for 2 days, grabbed my blanket and pillow and left my room not knowing for how long.

In the absense of signals, it took me more than 45 min to get to his place, and it was so nice to see their cars parked outside. Inside it was different story, the stove will not start without electricity, well it needed matches, which Srijan did not have. So after some time we walked to crossroads to find a shop which is open and get some matchboxes. There were trees walken everywhere, and the walk reminded me of the walk I took in snow storm after abandoning my car on road. Only this time thankfully I was not alone and not nervous. We found matchboxes at sports authority. Back to Srijan's place, we heated some food, and ate it. It was pretty good food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW... it appears that the damage was pretty intense!
I'm a Redmond native, and haven't ever heard of anything as severe. Luckily though, I'm out of town for a vacation, but quite worried about friends and my house. Since I'm pretty sure everything in the fridge and freezer has gone bad by now.
I keep trying to reach my home phone with no success so either power and phone line are out, or one of the two.
I'm pretty sure my UPS did all it can to keep the power on for as long as it can, but not to power outage of 4 days, and counting
Stay warm, stay with friends ... and hopefully everyone can get through this one too.
Good luck
(site is down since my server is *ironically* at home)