Monday, June 01, 2009

Final 20 mile

.... before the final 26.2.
This Saturday I ran my last 20 mile of the training. It was a very heartening 20 mile because I ran it with little difficulty. To be modest I would say, its mainly because the last 10 mile was almost flat, running around lake Union.
I started heading towards UW from Montlake bridge. Soon I was on the old Burke-Gilman trail, running the same route I ran for training in 2005. I ran upto Revenna Park, and then Greenlake. At Greenlake, met chuck and other folks from his group. From Greenlake, I was heading towards Golden Garden Beach, via 80th St. If you have ever been on that street, you know its made up of grueling hills after hills. While still in my first 8 mile, I ran those hills with the same zeal as I run the flats of West Lake Sammamish. After every hill, I had a peak-a-boo view of the Olympic mountains. It was just a perfect cloudless day, and I was happy that I started early.
At the end of 80th, I reach a short road that leads me to the windy hill road down to Golden Garden beach. I ran down that nicely, not at all envying the people running up the road. I was over my only hilly stretch and its all a easy cruise from here. After some time, the road becomes narrow with no side walk. So I ran down fast, faster than I have run any downhill and soon realized that its not a good idea, its more taxing on knees and legs than running uphill. So I slowed down and took a set of stairs down till it was safe to run on the road again. I reached the beach easily, very little tiredness till now. The beach was really refreshing. Beautiful view of all sailboats in water, Olympic mountains in horizon. I just wished, I could sit there and spend the afternoon.
But no can do. After lingering enough to get some rest, I started running Seaside Ave towards Lake union. This was the route we took when running the first 10 mile. It seemed so easy now :). Once I reached Ballard, all my excitment of running by the lake vanished. Lake Union must be one of the most.

No comments: