Sunday, June 21, 2009

the hills of Kikland

So today was last practice long run. It was not really long, probably ran close to 6 miles, but it was tough, tiring. I decided to run in Seattle, finally see the neighborhood. Since I am suppose to avoid running on hard surface, I decided to go and run at Bridle Trails State Park. ya, there is a state park smack in the middle of Redmond/Kirkland/Bellevue. Running up the the park was mostly uphill, not very bad. There is a footbrdige to cross 405. The view of Lake and Seattle was awesome from the bridge. I also saw a glimpse of Space Needle. If it was a clear day, view of Olympics would have been great too.

The State Park is really a jungle! As soon as I entered the park, it felt like I am in a jungle, no sign of city anywhere and any momemt a wild animal will jump on my path! Once I reached the proper trail, it was better. The rain from yesterday had made everything very wet. Soon I figured out the different between trail running and street running. Trail, though softer, but still is no level and there are stones, things on the trail which needed to be avoided. Few minutes of running lead to the main entrance and a map. Now I was a bit confused where I was. So I ran in one direction, it did not seem right, the trail was narrow and feeling overgrown. So then I started in the other direction, this also did not feel good. So I gave up, its better to just go out and run on the pavement. While going out, I changed my mind and decided to finish at least one loop. It was looking nice wide trail. That was a mistake. Few minutes on the trail, it climbed steeply. That must have been the hill between 116th and 120th Ave. After the climb, it leveled off and surprisingly I reached the junction of couger and some other trail. First I thought I would take Couger trail as originally planned, its 3.5 mile into the park. But I was feeling claustrophobic by now, surrounded by too many trees. So I decided to just get out of there. That's when panic began! I am lost! Its a labyrinth of trails and with so many trees just cannot figure out where u r. I started in one direction and it did not look right. So I thought lets just retrace your steps.  But then there was a junction and I did not at all remember from which direction I came, everything was looking the same. Finally I chose one way and it looked about right. I was so happy to finally get out of the park!

Next I decided to run down to Kirkland waterfront. Open lake would be a good change. The way from 108th ave down to water is all steep downhill. I cannot believe that we actually live on a hill. Whole of kirkland is a hill! If this city was not there, this would have been a beautiful forest area which we would have been hiking to get to lake washington :). alas! its all been destroyed now. Once reaching the waterfront, I was nice. I ran along the water for a bit. Took a 10 min break near the lake, just relaxing. After that ran all uphill back to the apartment.

No comments: