Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Day 5 - Its finally sinking in

yes, its finally sinking in that this is a big change, that I am by myself in this strange country. The initial shock of OMG! I am in Europe! is over, and its S***! I am Europe by myself!
What triggered this - I won't go in details as its office related and confidential and what not. But I suddenly found that I have 0 money here. With one click money transfer from US -> India, you would think it will be half-a click to Switzerland, its after all half way from India. But no, not possible. Of all the things, I did not think that finances is something I would have to worry about.
(don't worry, I am not out on street begging, I still have dear old credit card from US, it is kindda difficult to use it to pay my apartment deposit. Of course working at Google I can eat 5 days a week and fast for 2 days)

... and that was just the beginning. After being spoiled by friendly Seattle folks in office, everyone seems rude here from HR to the security guys. I miss the smiley security folks at Kirkland who always asked me if I am working late - with a smile. Not like why are you entering office so late!

... and bank people. Ok, they are not rude, they are polite in their own way, especially after they look at where you work. Its not their fault that its so complicated to get a bank account here. Don't even ask about getting a credit card when you need it the most. In Seattle, its always smiles - how can we help you today :), can we interest you in this credit card and also give you $40 to take it :). Oh well, no more happy banking.

As is clear, totally feeling home sick today. Need to remind myself why I am here - because I like complicated life and it was getting too easy and comfortable in Seattle.

Looking fwd to some swing dancing tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I feel you (as a person who came to US 10 years ago without knowing how to speak english). But then, I'm sure you'll do just fine, Tulika :)